As I wrote that sentence I wondered if there was any meaning in the natural order that those roles spilled out onto the screen. Some roles are new, while others (teacher, student, Easter Bunny) have been dropped. I rememeber in my twenties trying to figure out who I was and now as I complete my 30's I realize that who I am is an ever changing dynamic held together by some core values that get sorted out as I write. So welcome to The Nest.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dr. Feelgood

On the way home from my sister’s house, Nori’s complaining increased with the passing of mile markers.  Finally, around Long Branch, the retching came.  Earlier, at dinner, Nori had requested her pasta sauce-less so that she could match her cousin.  My only saving grace in the situation, so thank you Tyler. 
She was crying for her boo boo belly, her yucky ducky, and messy jamas. Not until she was home and clean did she calm down and pass out on the couch.  Charlie took advantage of the situation, requesting “one more show,” before bed, more than one time.  However, the next day he made up for it.
Nori, sad with fever, silently sat on the couch almost all day.  Her silence, so rare, motivated and inspired Charlie to put on a show.  First, he attempted to pull a rabbit out of his magic hat.  He has somehow procured a black top-hat (possibly from Nonna’s crazy closet?) and he has often touted its magical qualities.  On this particular day, he stuffed it with a stuffed bunny and repeatedly pulled it out for our amazement. He was determined to make his sister feel better and seemed puzzled by her continued lack of play.  “Charlie, Nori has a fever.  She is too sick to play, but thanks for trying to make her laugh.  Charlie, undeterred by my explanation, made a seamless transition from magician to comedian.  “A beaver?  Whataya mean she has a beaver?”   Finally, she smiled.  His funniness finally acknowledged he followed his act with a series of funny faces and some dancing. 

While Nori is generous and obvious with her love and affection, Charlie can be a bit staid.  His love and devotion to her, however, cannot be questioned, especially when she needs him most.

1 comment:

  1. I love Charlie. What a good brother. I just realized you have been posting on here again. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete