As I wrote that sentence I wondered if there was any meaning in the natural order that those roles spilled out onto the screen. Some roles are new, while others (teacher, student, Easter Bunny) have been dropped. I rememeber in my twenties trying to figure out who I was and now as I complete my 30's I realize that who I am is an ever changing dynamic held together by some core values that get sorted out as I write. So welcome to The Nest.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Voices Carry

I try to think about what it is like to have a vision, something I want done and the frustration in trying to convey that vision for someone else to execute.  It is almost impossible to get all the details right with all the pitfalls of connotation that verbal communication contains. I think of T.S. Eliot and Prufrock's love song, "That's not what I meant.  That's not what I meant at all."   I try to keep this in mind as Nori screams. 

She wants the paper folded, the food arranged, the line drawn, dolls arranged, in a proper way-the way she envisions.  I am not getting it right and she lacks the dexterity to do it herself.  So the freak out begins.  "Is is really that big a deal?" I plead.  Apparently it is.  Why else would she be drowning in her own tears, shrieking spit everywhere.

This will not change.  Sure her motor skills will improve and she will be able to cut her own food. Her verbal skills will improve and she will be able to communicate in a way that might be clearer.  I doubt it will always be clear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment